Use a discount line item if you need to apply discount to one or more items on the invoice/sales receipts (instead of the entire invoice).
Step 1: Create the Discount item.
- Select the Gear icon at the top,
- Under Lists, select Products and Services.
- At the top right, select New.
- Select Non-inventory or Service for Products/Services type, then complete the information needed.
- In the Name field, enter Discount. If you plan to create multiple discount percentages, you can enter Discount and amount for the name (Example: $2 Discount).
- In the Sales price/rate field, enter the discount amount as a negative.
- From the Income account drop-down, select Discounts given account.
- Make sure the Is Taxable is not checked.
- Select Save and close.
Step 2: Use the Discount item on an invoice/sales receipt.
- Select the Plus (+) icon at the top.
- Under Customers, select Invoice (or Sales Receipt).
- Select the customer.
- Add the product and services.
- Enter the Discount item (created in step 1).
- Select Save.
Note: The discount item can be added anywhere in the invoice. As long as the correct quantity is entered, it will calculate the correct discount amount.
If you are applying a discount for the entire invoice/sales receipt, you need to enable Discounts for the company file.
- Select the Gear icon at the top.
- Under Your Company, choose Accounts and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Go to the Sales tab, then select the pencil icon in the Sales form content section.
- Put a check mark on the Discount box, then select Save and Done.
Once the Discounts feature is enabled, you’ll see a drop-down that will let you add Discount percent or Discount value at the bottom of your invoice/sales receipts.